Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

LAX Tops NVU-Lyndon in OT for First Win

LAX Tops NVU-Lyndon in OT for First Win

NEW LONDON, Conn. -- The Mitchell College men's lacrosse team picked up a 9-8 victory in overtime against Northern Vermont University-Lyndon on Saturday afternoon in non-conference action at Alumni Field.

The Mariners won the opening face-off in overtime and quickly converted the winning goal off the stick of Jacob Anderson, who was promptly mobbed by his teammates in wild celebration. The win was Mitchell's first of the season and snapped a losing streak that dated back to April 2017.

Kyle Marsh led Mitchell (1-4 overall) with three goals and three assists while Anderson and Brandon Snyder finished with two goals apiece. Jade Shields and Ethan LePain also found the back of the net on the day.

Spencer Aubin paced Lyndon (0-3 overall) with five goals while Conor Brennan added a goal and an assist. Anthony Townsend and Benjamin Cheever accounted for the Hornets' other two scores.

Mitchell never trailed in the contest but also never led by more than two goals at any point. The Mariners took the early lead behind a man-up tally by Marsh before Aubin tied the game with the first of four first-half goals. The Mariners led 4-3 after the opening quarter and 6-5 at halftime.

In the third quarter, the Mariners padded a one-goal lead in the final minute of the stanza as Marsh recorded the hat trick with another extra-man goal. The tally gave Mitchell an 8-6 margin heading into the final 15 minutes of regulation.

A Mitchell penalty gave Lyndon a spark in the fourth as Aubin scored with 10:51 to go with the man advantage. One minute later, Cheever tied the game as the Hornets pulled even at 8-8.

Goalies Marcel Quinlan and Aaron Florence each made saves down the stretch to keep the game locked at 8-8. The Hornets had the final possession of regulation but failed to produce a shot.

In overtime, Adam Liudzius won the critical face-off to give the Mariners the ball. After Mitchell switched up personnel, Anderson began the attack by streaking into the offensive zone from the wing area and muscling past his defender. He then unleashed a shot from 10 yards out that found the back of the cage for the game-ending goal.

Mitchell held a 38-31 advantage in total shots. Quinlan finished with 12 saves to record his first career victory in goal. Florence made 14 stop--10 of which came in the second half--to keep the Hornets in the game.

Mitchell will next play at Sage College on Monday, March 18 at 2 p.m.